Wrinkles - Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Wrinkles are creases or folds or ridges in the skin. They naturally appear when we get older, and our skin becomes loose. Anti-aging topical creams, Botox, fillers, skin boosters, and energy-based devices like lasers, RF, and other treatments may help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Starting earlier anti-aging treatments, avoiding stress, and having sun protection are major steps to prevent or delay the development of wrinkles.
What are Wrinkles?
Wrinkles are creases or folds or ridges in the skin. Initially, wrinkles are formed due to facial expressions. They develop when the skin starts becoming thin and less elastic.
Common Causes of Wrinkles
- 1. Facial expressions like smiling, frowning, or squinting lead to form first wrinkles.
- 2. Aging process: As we get older, skin becomes thinner, drier, and less elastic, which leads to wrinkles.
- 3. Sun exposure: UV light breaks the collagen and elastic fibers.
- 4. Smoking: Smoking reduces the blood supply to the skin and speeds up aging.
- 5. Alcohol intake: alcohol makes the skin more dehydrated. Dehydration makes the skin prone to more wrinkles formation.
- 6. Underlying diseases: diabetes, thyroid disease, etc
There are many treatments available to prevent and treat wrinkles. The appropriate treatment choice is based on many factors, including the severity of wrinkles, sagging level, volume loss, skin type, skin sensitivity, and downtime of different procedures.
Topical Treatments for Wrinkles
Use long-term topical treatments, especially retinol, alpha hydroxy acids, vitamin C, hyaluronic acids, Q10 coenzymes, etc., and sun protection factor.
Aesthetic Treatments for Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Microdermabrasion, chemical peels, micro-needling, and energy-based devices like fractional lasers, Radiofrequency devices, HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound), and IPLs (Intense Pulse Light). These treatments can be combined to produce more effective results.
Injectables for Wrinkles
Injectables include Botox, fillers, skin boosters, e.g., Profhilo, and biostimulants like Radiesse and Sculptra.
Prevention Strategies for Wrinkles:
Although wrinkles are a natural part of aging, however some ways to reduce or prevent their development include:
- 1. Sun protection
- 2. Moisturizing regularly
- 3. Avoiding stress
- 4. Stop smoking
- 5. Less intake of alcohol
- 6. Drinking more water and eating healthy and balanced food
- 7. Starting topical retinol after turning 30.
- 8. Sleep well
- 9. Seeking early anti-aging treatments
Do wrinkles go away?
Wrinkles never go away completely, but they can be reduced significantly, especially by combining different treatment options.
How do you get rid of wrinkles?
Many treatments are available to reduce wrinkles, like laser resurfacing, Radiofrequency and HIFU, chemical peels, Botox, fillers, and surgical lifts.
What age is it normal to get wrinkles?
As our body ages 25, we may notice fine lines.
How can I remove wrinkles naturally?
To remove wrinkles naturally, you need to stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, use antioxidants like vitamin C topically and orally, apply moisturizing products including hyaluronic acid, olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, argan oil, niacinamide and use of face mask like egg whites’ massage, banana face mask, etc.