Double Chin - Causes, Treatment, and Removal
What is a Double Chin?
A double chin, referred to as submental fat, is the layer of fatty tissue that accumulates in the region between the neck and the chin. Multiple factors contribute to the development of a double chin.
Double Chin Causes
- Age: As we age, skin elasticity tends to decline, leading to excess or drooping skin, which can create a double chin.
- Posture: Bad posture can weaken the muscles in the neck and chin, facilitating the development of a double chin over time.
- Diet and Weight: Consuming high-calorie, processed foods and unhealthy fats could contribute to weight gain and, subsequently, a double chin.
- Genetics: Familial traits like skin lacking elasticity or a history of double chins may predispose some individuals to have one.
Double Chin Removal & Treatments:
When it comes to treating double chin the suitability of the treatment with the patient is the most important factor
Lipolysis Acid Injections
Lipolysis Acid Injections, also known as Lipolysis, entail a series of injections into the region between the chin and neck to break down fat. Typically, 1 to 3 sessions are needed for effective results.
TruSculp iD employs a non-surgical approach to fat reduction, targeting the chin and neck areas to eliminate the look of a double chin.
Liposuction is often coupled with neck or face lift procedures for comprehensive results.
High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)
High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) uses sound waves to target and break down excess fat and skin. The technique also stimulates collagen production. This procedure is typically performed every 2-3 years for maintaining double chin.
Sometimes, we have patients who don’t have a double chin, but their jawline blends softly in with their neck. Dermal Fillers cannot remove fat, but they are often used to add contour and definition to the chin and jawline. This may not be the proper treatment for you, so doctors’ consultation is essential.
Thread lifting is a safe and effective technique which allows the repositioning of sagging skin tissue and encourages it to become tighter.
Double Chin Prevention and Maintenance
- Prevention: The best way to prevent a double chin is to take care of your health and food habits, fix the posture, double chin exercises
- Maintenance: collagen threads, HIFU treatments can help to maintain it, face yoga.
Double Chin FAQs
Can double chins go away?
A double chin can go away on its own, this is more likely if weight gain is the cause. It is more challenging to get rid of something that is determined by your genetics.
How do I reduce my double chin?
Double chin can be reduced with multiple treatment options such as Lipolysis Acid Injections, TruSculp iD, Liposuction, High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU), Dermal Filler, Thread lifting.
Does chewing gum help to reduce double chin?
Yes, chewing gum can help in reducing double chin.
How long can it take to lose a double chin?
If the patient keeps consistent with multiple treatment options, double chin can improve to certain degrees in 3-6 months.